September 8, 2010

Girls Night In

The other week I saw an ad on television for the Cancer Council's Daffodil Day that really moved me. The message was that 1 in 2 Australians will be diagnosed with cancer. This statistic is frightening and so I jumped on the Cancer Councils website to see how/what/when/if I could become involved.

Welcome the Girls Night In! Every October the Cancer Council asks women around Australia to host an event, invite their girlfriends, and raise funds for the fight against women's cancers. I've registered to host an event that I'm really enjoying putting together and can't wait to get into the nitty gritty as the date approaches. Here is a breakdown of my thought process to land the perfect idea for my Girls Night In:

Idea 1
Invite girlfriends over for a catchup, some Nintendo Wii and a glass of wine.  Girlfriends donate what they would have spent on a typical night out on the town.
Potential to be raised = $250

This is good, but I can aim higher.

Idea 2
Invite girlfriends, friends of friends and Mums over for some food and drinks.
Potential to be raised = $400

More people means more funds raised, but how am I going to fit all those people into my apartment, and how would I entertain them without spending too much of my own money?

And so Idea 3 was born
Let's not have a girls night in, but a girls night out!

Girlfriends, friends of friends, Mums, Aunties, colleagues and even our male partners in crime (only allowed to attend if they wear pink mind you) will be invited to a night at the movies, drinking wine, eating popcorn and delighting in an entertaining flick.

If it all works out as planned I can raise a total of $1,000 for the Cancer Council.  Yippee!

Let the event planning begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment